IRMA members commit to a shared participation in achieving the IRMA vision.
In practice, this means that our members have unique roles to play but they can all participate in making responsible mining the norm. They can use responsibly mined materials or advocate for responsible mining to those they influence.
What one of our members says:
ArcelorMittal supplies many different sectors with steel, from automotive parts, packaging and construction. An increasing number of our customers want reassurance that every link in their entire supply chain operates to high levels of environmental and social standards. This means both our steel plants but also the mines we buy from. We believe one system that is suitable for all mined materials, is multi-stakeholder and independent, must be the best long term service we can offer our customers.
Alan KnightGeneral Manager for Corporate Responsibility, ArcelorMittal and Chairman, ResponsibleSteel (ArcelorMittal is a founding member of IRMA)
Benefits of IRMA membership
IRMA membership has many benefits. For companies in the supply chain this includes improved reputation, better market access, robust assurance and responsible sourcing.
For civil society, labor unions and communities, this means being able to inform the globe’s most comprehensive definition of ‘responsible mining.’
- An IRMA Member logo and membership messages to show your support for responsible mining that can be used in your communications.
- A listing of your organization or company on the IRMA Engagement Map.
- Opportunity to shape actions in IRMA through voting rights (if your organization is in one of the five stakeholder houses that are given voting rights – these are 1) mining companies, 2) companies that purchase mined materials, 3) labor unions, 4) civil society organizations and 5) mining-affected communities)
- Invitation to participate in the IRMA Annual General Assembly (for all members).
- Being part of the global dialogue on responsible mining.
How to become a member
IRMA Engagement Map
The IRMA Engagement Map is an interactive tool that allows diverse stakeholders involved in mining (ranging from affected communities to mining companies) to identify global progress in responsible mining.