Mined materials: Chromium, Gold, Iridium, Palladium, Platinum, Rhodium, Ruthenium
Stage 1: completed 7 June 2021
Stage 2: completed 20 May 2022
Chromite, Limpopo, South Africa
Assessment type: Initial Audit
Assessment scope: The assessment will include operations and facilities in the Amandelbult mining complex area, which is made up of the Dishaba and Tumela underground mines, the Zizwe Batlase open pit operation, and concentrator, chrome recovery plant and mine waste facilities. During the assessment the impacts and issues associated with all mining operations and the associated facilities will be reviewed, and each site will be visited.
Rustenburg Platinum Mines proposed in its assessment application form that the following chapters of the IRMA Standard are not relevant at the Amandelbult site (during Stage 1, ERM-CVS will assess the company’s rationale for why chapters are not relevant):
- 2.2 – Free, Prior and Informed Consent
- 2.4 – Resettlement
- 3.4 – Mines in Conflict-Affected and High-Risk Areas
- 3.6 – Artisanal and Small-Scale Mining
- 4.7 – Cyanide Management
- 4.8 – Mercury Management
Audit status: Stage 2 completed.
Certification body: ERM Certification and Verification Services. (website)
Stakeholder engagement: To provide input or participate in audits, contact:
ERM Certification and Verification Services Limited
Postnet Suite 90, Private Bag X12,
Tokai, Cape Town, South Africa, 7966
Telephone: +27 11 798 4300
WhatsApp: +27 87 195 2993
- To file a complaint about the audit results (e.g., achievement level, scores, content of audit reports) contact ERM-CVS at email@example.com
- To file a complaint about auditors or Certification Bodies (e.g., performance, competencies, potential conflicts of interest, etc.): file a complaint with IRMA.